Location: Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England, UK
Job Ref: J2157481
Sub-sector: Biotech/Life Sciences
Date Added: 11 December 2020
SRG's COVID-19 Response Team is currently engaged with a number of high-profile clients looking for Scientists / Senior Scientists to assist in COVID
Positions available: Scientist / Senior Scientist
Division: COVID-19 Pandemic Laboratory
Contract: Variety of Contracts (Typically 6 - 12 Months +)
Client: SRG engaged with Multiple High-Level Clients seeking this candidate profile
Salary: Competitive and Negotiable
SRG's COVID-19 Response Team is currently engaged with a number of high-profile clients looking for Scientists & Senior Scientists to assist in their COVID-19 laboratory testing projects. If you are looking for this type of role and you are available, we should have a role for you within close proximity to your preferred location. Please read below and if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then please apply today and the recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.
The COVID-19 pandemic presents the business community with several unique challenges. Recent evidence suggests that a majority of people infected with the disease could be asymptomatic carriers, meaning they can carry and transmit the disease, whilst not showing any symptoms. Traditional screening methods, such as checking temperature and oxygen levels are ineffective in detecting these asymptomatic carriers, who can be highly contagious. Development of a vaccine or herd immunity are not certainties and there are no guarantees either can be achieved in the short to medium term.
Because of these challenges, attention is starting to shift to how businesses can recommence operations in this new world. As businesses start to re-open it's vital that they protect workers' and customer's safety. As we prepare for the winter months and with signs of a second wave coming into effect, the UK's testing capacity is needing to grow. SRG is currently working with multiple high profile organisations, where you will be required to put your previous experience to valuable use and support the COVID recovery efforts to help reopen society and the economy
As a Scientist / Senior Scientist, you will work as part of a team of bench scientists you run assays for assessing the presence of SARS-COV-2 in human biological specimens. Scientists will work in teams to prepare samples e.g. human nasopharyngeal swabs, extract RNA, and run qPCR with a validated COVID-19 method.
- Responsible for confirming that the human biological specimens delivered to the designated assessment area are accounted for on the specimen manifest
- Removal of specimen transport tubes from the kit packaging according to the safety guidelines outlined in the dedicated COVID-19 Specimen Receiving SOP, while using necessary PPE
- Identification of samples that may be compromised or do not meet established acceptability criteria according to defined processes and procedures (e.g., not properly labelled, open tubes, empty tubes etc.)
- Perform viral inactivation steps and entry of required information using LIMS software.
- Specific sample preparation that is compatible with the downstream assay.
- RNA extraction and subsequent PCR assay.
- Perform analysis of PCR data from samples and correct tracking and recording of the analysis in the appropriate LIMS database o relevant IT system.
- To follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Risk Assessments as applicable and in which the individual has been trained.
- Timely and accurate completion of all paperwork
- To strictly adhere to BSL 2 precautions and appropriate use of PPE
- To adhere to all site Health & Safety policies and procedures
- Ensure that all activities performed adhere to all client standards (GXP, Safety and Security).
- Further education degree/diploma in a biological subject or equivalent experience
- For Junior at least one year's experience in BSL-2 / GMP / diagnostic setting
- For Senior at least 2+ years' experience working in a BSL-2 / GMP / diagnostic
- Experience in handling human biological specimens
- Experience of RNA extraction and PCR assays
- Competent in the use of LIMS or other IT platforms that collate, track and report samples
- Experience in following SOPs and Risk Assessments
As mentioned above, if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then please apply today and the recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.