Close date: 31st January 2022
Job Title: Junior Device Development Engineer (Student Placement)
Position job holder reports to: Device Development Engineer or Senior Device Development Engineer
Position in Organisation: Please refer to the current version of the company organisation charts
Location: Unit 3, Enterprise 3930, Cambridge Research Park, Beach Drive, Waterbeach, Cambridge CB25 9PE.
- Conceptual development of novel drug delivery technologies.
- Detailed design and testing of autoinjector mechanisms
- Development and validation of manufacturing and assembly processes
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join a small but growing company at an early stage, develop experience across a wide range of engineering and design activities and gain exposure to the structured process of medical device development.
It is expected that students will take a full and active role in our project teams and will have the opportunity to make significant contributions to the development of our novel drug delivery technologies.
Overview of Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Concept design, inc. Product/Mechanism Design
- CAD (SolidWorks, ProE, etc.)
- Detail design and engineering
- Development of external product form and internal functional mechanisms
- Math modeling of complex mechanical and fluidic systems
- Tolerance analysis and finite-element analysis (e.g. structural, mould-flow etc.)
- Component design for manufacture, material selection etc.
- Supplier selection and liaison
- Generation and implementation of test plans inc. design of jigs and fixtures etc.
- Generation and communication of reports and presentations
- Plastics/Material Engineering
- Prototyping / Manufacturing
- Build and Testing of Devices
- Problem Solving
- Project Planning
- Clinical involvement
- Supplier Site Visits
- User Trials
- Clinical Trial Observations
- A desire to learn and a willingness to take on challenges
- Self-motivated and proactive nature
- Open, honest, inclusive, personable
- Adaptable, resourceful, and creative
- Thrives in an open and less structured environment
- A team player with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to travel if, and when, required
Experience/Skills needed to fulfill the role
- Completion of 2 years of a recognised degree course in a relevant subject such as;
- Mechanical Engineering
- General Engineering
- Product Design
As per entry requirements for relevant degree courses.
Interface with other departments/communication internal & external
- Liaise with all internal functions and personnel.
- Present to appropriate business and technical audiences as necessary.
- Some travel may be necessary as appropriate to project requirements.