Location: Bracknell, Berkshire, England, UK
Job Ref: SRSCI2011
Sub-sector: Biotech/Life Sciences
Date Added: 24 November 2020
We're looking for Senior Scientists to join the NHS Test and Trace team in Berkshire.
Contract: Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Senior Scientists based in and around Berkshire to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
As a Senior Scientist, you'll be an experienced scientist in molecular/virology fields acting with a degree of autonomy in providing a COVID-19 testing service. You'll be reporting to the Clinical Lead and will assist in managing junior staff in the department.
This role is vital in maintaining the highest possible standards of scientific work appropriate for a comprehensive, efficient and cost-effective COVID-19 testing service. You'll also be aware of current and developments in professional standards and national policies that pertain to the delivery of COVID-19 testing services, and, to assist in scientific development, evaluation, audits and research both within the specialty and with clinicians and scientists in the wider organisation.
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- MSc in Biomedical Science/Medical Microbiology/Virology or equivalent
- Relevant IBMS Specialist Diploma(s) or equivalent specialist laboratory experience
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Experience of working at a senior level
- Supervisory & training experience
- Good grasp of Health & Safety issues, COSHH, ISO & quality issues
- Full awareness & appreciation of service specific knowledge base
- Demonstrable commitment to and focus on quality, promotes high standards to consistently improve patient outcomes
- Demonstrable skill to work together to serve our community through delivering safe and excellent clinical care
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate difficult, complex and contentious information in a way that is heard and understood
- Able to work under own initiative and without direct supervision within responsibilities of role
- Able to manage and prioritise own workload and that of others as appropriate
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively within a team
- Demonstrates sound understanding of personal and professional accountability
- Shows motivation in developing new skills and knowledge. Embraces change and innovation positively and with enthusiasm
- Shows interest in facilitating learning and development of others
In addition, the following qualification and experience is also desirable but not mandatory:
- State registered with HCPC
- Experience of laboratory computer systems
- Experience of out of hours working
As well as a competitive rate of pay (with a 20% uplift applied for night working and end of contract bonus), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will include day, evening and weekend shifts. Please speak to our team to learn more.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focussed on delivering the best possible outcome.