Location: UK wide
Job Ref: J2157484
Sub-sector: Biotech/Life Sciences
Date Added: 11 December 2020
SRG's COVID-19 Response Team is currently engaged with a number of high-profile clients looking for Sample Handlers to assist in COVID-19
Position available: Laboratory Sample Handler
Division: COVID-19 Pandemic Laboratory
Contract: Variety of Contracts (Typically 6 - 12 Months +)
Client: SRG engaged with Multiple High-Level Clients seeking this candidate profile
Salary: Competitive and Negotiable
SRG's COVID-19 Response Team is currently engaged with a number of high-profile clients looking for Laboratory Sample Handlers to assist in their COVID-19 laboratory testing projects. If you are looking for this type of role and you are available, we should have a role for you within close proximity to your preferred location. Please read below and if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then please apply today and the recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.
The COVID-19 pandemic presents the business community with several unique challenges. Recent evidence suggests that a majority of people infected with the disease could be asymptomatic carriers, meaning they can carry and transmit the disease, whilst not showing any symptoms. Traditional screening methods, such as checking temperature and oxygen levels are ineffective in detecting these asymptomatic carriers, who can be highly contagious. Development of a vaccine or herd immunity are not certainties and there are no guarantees either can be achieved in the short to medium term.
Because of these challenges, attention is starting to shift to how business can recommence operations in this new world. As businesses start to re-open it's vital that they protect workers and customer's safety. As we prepare for the winter months and with signs of a second wave coming into effect, the UK's testing capacity is needing to grow. SRG is currently working with multiple high profile organisations, where you will be required to put your previous experience to valuable use and support the COVID recovery efforts to help reopen society and the economy.
As a Sample Handler, you will work as part of a team of bench scientists will be part of a team responsible for assessing the presence of SARS-COV-2 in human biological specimens. The team will work to prepare samples e.g. human nasopharyngeal swabs, extract RNA, and run qPCR with a validated COVID-19 method. All roles will require:
- Taking receipt of samples
- Removing exterior packaging (unboxing)
- Working in a controlled area to remove clinical samples from safety bags (unbagging)
- Transferring clinical samples to the laboratory
- Accurate record keeping
- Identifying samples unsuitable for testing
- Removing packaging waste
- You will also ensure relevant Standard Operating Procedures, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations and other relevant regulations and procedures are followed and well documented.
- Further education degree/diploma/A Levels/GCSEs in a biological subject or equivalent experience within a laboratory
- Experience working within a laboratory environment is desirable
- Proven customer service focus, ability to work collaboratively and in a matrix.
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities
- Exceptional planning and organisational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Good knowledge of Laboratory Health and safety
- Ability to follow specific instructions
As mentioned above, if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then please apply today and the recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.