Sub-sector: Biotech / Life Sciences
Positions available: Scientist / Senior Scientist
Division: COVID-19 Pandemic Laboratory
Contract: Varied (contracts typically last >6-12 months)
Salary: Competitive and negotiable
SRG's COVID-19 Response Team is currently engaged with a number of high-profile clients looking for Laboratory Technicians & Senior Laboratory Technicians to assist in their COVID-19 laboratory testing projects.
Please read below and if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then get in touch. Our recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.
The COVID-19 pandemic presents the business community with several unique challenges. Recent evidence suggests that a majority of people infected with the disease could be asymptomatic carriers, meaning they can carry and transmit the disease, whilst not showing any symptoms.
Traditional screening methods, such as checking temperature and oxygen levels are ineffective in detecting these asymptomatic carriers, who can be highly contagious. Development of a vaccine or herd immunity are not certainties and there are no guarantees either can be achieved in the short to medium term.
Because of these challenges, attention is starting to shift to how business can recommence operations in this new world. As businesses start to re-open it's vital that they protect workers and customer's safety. As the UK's testing capacity continues to grow, SRG is working with multiple high profile organisations, where you will be required to put your previous experience to valuable use and support the COVID recovery efforts to help reopen society and the economy.
As a Laboratory Technician / Senior Laboratory Technician, you will work as part of a team of bench scientists will be part of a team responsible for assessing the presence of SARS-COV-2 in human biological specimens. The team will work to prepare samples e.g. human nasopharyngeal swabs, extract RNA, and run qPCR with a validated COVID-19 method. All roles will require:
- Process samples from receipt, through to sample processing and storage, in line with laboratory and quality management processes.
- Work in accordance with laboratory SOPs and ensure high levels of cleanliness in the laboratory area.
- Key responsibilities are likely to include sample setup, including manual pipetting and plate preparation using benchtop equipment (manual or automated); preparation of PCR reaction mixtures and appropriate controls; and operation of PCR instrumentation.
- As the role responsibilities will vary between locations, your role may also include:
- Conducting root cause analysis of errors.
- Identifying and processing samples that may have been compromised or do not meet the established acceptability criteria.
- Completing viral inactivation steps.
- Tracking samples using a LIMS system.
- Minimum of one year's experience (Junior Laboratory Technician minimum standard) or two-three years' + (Senior Laboratory Technician minimum standard) working in a laboratory setting
- Minimum of one science A-Level (or equivalent)
- Experience working in BSL-2 / GMP / Diagnostic setting desirable
- Experience setting up and carrying out qPCR studies (ideally at 384 well scale - including the programming of qPCR machines) desirable
- Previous experience in RNA extraction studies desirable
- GCSE Maths or English (or equivalent)
As mentioned above, if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then please apply today and the recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.