Process Development Chemist - new job in Cheshire West and Chester, UK
Process Development Chemist required, based in Cheshire West. Requiring a degree in Chemistry and industry experience of scale-up chemistry
Process Development Chemist
£28,000 - £45,000 (dependent on qualifications and on experience)
SRG is working with a hugely successful global speciality chemical manufacturer who have a strong focus on sustainability and innovation in chemical technology. They are now looking for a Process Development Chemist to join their team, to support the R&D chemists, in the scale-up of new product formulations. Taking a research-led approach, this role will involve synthesising organic products at lab scale (e.g. 500ml), optimising that process, and then scaling that up to as much as 1000 litres in their pilot plant, with a view to manufacturing the product for commercialisation. These can then be manufactured in full-scale plants, producing as much as 100,000 litres at a time. The role will include running pilot plant trials (here in the UK and globally), supporting manufacturing and helping to ensure processes are running smoothly. If you have completed, or will soon complete, a PhD in Chemistry and have hands-on experience of organic synthesis in academia or industry, OR have a degree in Chemistry and a few years industry organic synthetic experience - we want to hear from you!
Benefits: You will join a hugely collaborative team in a dynamic R&D hub, alongside other scientists of various disciplines. 37.5 working hours, Monday to Friday with flexibility on start and finish times, with core hours of 10am to 3pm. Please note: during local and international pilot trials, these hours will differ. Extra hours worked will be given back as Time Off In Lieu (TOIL).
25 days holiday as standard plus 8 statutory days, increasing with length of service. Enhanced pension scheme, private healthcare or health cash plan, share save scheme and annual company bonus.
Role / Description
- Route evaluation in the laboratory to produce new products, that can have significantly differing chemistries - supporting across all corporate functions
- Development of understanding of chemical reactions occurring during these processes
- Scale-up of the manufacturing routes to pilot plant and to full-scale plant
- Overseeing plant trials at the site in West Cheshire and manufacturing sites across the world.
- Improvement of existing processes and product chemistries
- Testing of new raw materials sources for existing processes
- Route searching by literature for appropriate synthetic methods
- Establishing test methods, interpreting resulting analysis and reporting on findings
- Preparing written reports, presentations, and costings data (these can be while working from home)
- Liaising with other internal R&D teams to share information, collaborate and contribute to parallel or long-term R&D projects.
- PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry (ideally) or an excellent Graduate in Organic Chemistry with some level of understanding around scale up / changing reaction conditions to improve processes
- Excellent synthetic organic chemistry knowledge and skills
- Ideally, upwards of 5 years' experience in process development or could be in organic chemistry but actually adapting and improving reactions (rather than just developing catalysts or research) with a view to taking them to a larger scale (pilot or full scale)
- Ideally have experience of batch, continuous or tube reactors
- Application of good chemical understanding to practical problems
- Understanding of reaction mechanisms, kinetics and basic chemical reaction principles
- Demonstrative creative and methodical thinking
- Excellent interpersonal skills - able to effectively interact with colleagues at all levels in the business
- Excellent communication skills - oral, written and presentational
- Must have ability to travel globally and to be able to work shifts during pilot trials
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively, please email a copy of your CV to For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Raffa on 0161 888 2517.
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: Research, project, process development, up scale, pilot trials, chemistry, chemist, synthesis, purifications, organic, chemicals, synthetic, reaction, mechanism, batch reactors, tube reactors, distillation reactors,laboratory, development, R&D, project, thesis, doctorate, post-doctorate, experiment, sustainable, sustainability, heterocyclic, ring-closing, synthesis, compounds, enantiomer, retrosynthetic, oxidation-reduction, synthetic routes, complex molecule, multi-step synthesis, stereoselectivity, pericyclic
Carbon60, Lorien & SRG - The Impellam Group STEM Portfolio are acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted