Research and Development Upstream Supervisor - new job in Maidstone, UK
Do you have a strong understanding of making proteins via recombinant microbes with a focus on upstream processes? Are you looking to further your supervisory skills? If so, this is the role for you.
SRG are supporting a business who provide key services to the biopharma industry by creating enzymes and other protein-based products. These products go on to support pharmaceutical, IVD and clinical chemistry around the world and have a huge impact across the industry.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to grow their supervisory responsibilities and reduce their in-lab time but maintain strong technical field expertise as you will be overseeing technical project proposals and act as a USP SME across the R&D team. You will be working closely with customers, and other departments across the business to help them translate their needs to technical reality as well as keeping them updated with data and time lines to support their R&D needs.
- Manage a small team of Scientists and Technicians to achieve rapid and efficient project progress, delivering an exceptional quality of data and scientific support to our customers, including writing of time-critical reports, and directly interacting with customers on a regular basis.
- Work with the Head of R&D to recruit new members of the team.
- Develop detailed workflows in the Upstream area, highlighting standard work operations and the time/resource that each should take as the basis for R&D capacity planning; regularly report actual resource spent vs. project plan.
- Contribute your time (target 60% overall) to working hands-on in the laboratory and dealing with primary data.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- At least a bachelor's degree in a relevant scientific discipline.
- A PhD in a relevant scientific discipline would be advantageous.
- Experience of team leadership and development of staff
- Experience working with state-of-the art fermentation control systems and high-throughput methods (e.g. Ambr system)
- A very strong base of knowledge in Upstream techniques important for Biopharmaceuticals
- Experience within GMP or similar standards will be advantageous.
- A solution orientated mindset, able to apply technical knowledge to creatively problem solve.
Why work for this business?
- Brand new facilities and state of the art equipment
- Excellent benefits, including private medical, up to 10% matching pension and lots more.
- Relocation support for moving to Kent.
- Huge focus on corporate social responsibility including 5 paid days off per year for non-profit work and lots of environmental and CSR opportunities.
- Lots of long-serving staff members
To find out more about these fantastic opportunities or the other opportunities within Analytical Development, or Tech Transfer please get in touch with Amelia Rose at
Carbon60, Lorien & SRG - The Impellam Group STEM Portfolio are acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted