SRG are currently recruiting for a Lead Scientist in Enzymology & Protein Engineering to work with an exciting new start-up biotech.
Lead Scientist - Enzymology & Protein Engineering
Please contact Andrew to discuss further: 0121 728 8456 firstname.lastname@example.org
SRG are currently recruiting for a Lead Scientist in Enzymology & Protein Engineering to work with an exciting new start-up biotech, with the potential to have a major impact on personalised medicine. Our client are working on the diagnostic application of their technology with the aim of reducing the incidence of advanced stage cancer. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with an emerging biotech presenting a very real possibility of life-changing science. They have recently raised substantial seed funding and are now looking for talented and highly motivated scientists to join their nascent R&D team. This is a rare chance to participate in developing a disruptive technology in one of the most exciting areas of Life Science and to make a substantial impact on Human Health.
Role / Description
You will be spending a significant portion of your time in the lab, where you will design, develop and commercialise ground-breaking genomic analysis technologies in a fast-paced product development environment. This will include optimising enzyme formulations and enzymatic methods in order to achieve commercial levels of performance, stability & robustness.
This is a wide ranging role with real potential to have an early impact on the business. Some of the main responsibilities are included below (a detailed job description is available on request):
- Identify and source or engineer novel enzymes or enzyme variants enabling improved assay performance, stability, robustness or other desirable characteristics.
- Characterise enzymes and enzymatic methods using a variety of analytical tools in order to identify and control critical parameters.
- Develop and document lab-scale processes for protein expression, purification and QC to enable scaled manufacturing of high quality enzymes.
- Support the design of NGS Sequencing experiments and use NGS data in order to measure the performance of enzymes and enzymatic processes.
- Produce new enzymes & enzyme mutants of sufficient quantity & quality to support internal development activities.
- Provide technical direction, coaching and possibly line management to the broader Enzymology & Protein Engineering team.
Key Skills & Experience:
We are looking for someone with a genuine passion and enthusiasm for life sciences and making a difference in a growing industry. You will hold PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or similar discipline, and extensive experience in protein engineering, expression & purification or enzymology, ideally with some strong industry experience. You will have a proven track record of identifying/creating new enzymatic activities and prototype processes required to manufacture and QC them, ideally in the field of molecular biology and DNA analysis. This experience and skill will coupled with a familiarity for modern methods of enzyme mutagenesis, screening, expression/purification, characterization and QC.
Other key skills include:
- Experience of RUO or IVD product development processes from concept through development & transfer to manufacturing.
- Excellent team-working skills with previous experience of completing collaborative projects on time and within budget.
- Experience of supervising and mentoring other scientists at PhD and Graduate level.
If you have experience and/or knowledge in any of the following, this would be desirable:
- Expertise in the study & optimisation of DNA modification enzymes.
- Previous experience of working with high throughput genomic analysis tools, especially Next Generation Sequencing.
- Familiarity with the analysis and interpretation of Next Generation Sequencing Data.
- Line management of other Scientists.
This is an excellent time to begin your journey with this exciting company, to deliver real results in a ground-breaking area, and to contribute to human health within this vital sector.