Head of Operations
Interim Role (3-6 months initially)
Up to 60K
Contact Andrew for an in-depth discussion
We are looking for an experienced Head of Operations at a Research Complex in South Oxford to organize and oversee daily operations. You will be the one to ensure that all is well-coordinated and productive by managing procedures and coaching my client's people. The area of responsibility for this role is very wide and thus requires breadth of knowledge of all areas of the operation. The ideal candidate must be highly competent, pragmatic and able to find solutions to a wide range of issues, as well as leading on the operational plan. You will be an excellent leader who can discover the most efficient ways to manage a small, dedicated team.
The Head of Operations is responsible for the delivery of high-quality, day-to-day leadership of the core team, including research facilities, technical support personnel and infrastructure supporting the scientific research programmes. You will drive forward, and make significant contributions to decision making, which enhances the performance of my client. Organisational progress and development is at the heart of the role, ensuring that they are competitive in terms of resources, efficiency, and quality of service provision. The Head of Operations is primarily responsible for wide financial planning and operations, and direct service delivery of key functions including finance and information services, facilities management and estates. Working closely with other members of the management team, this role is pivotal in ensuring that the strategy and operations of professional services are effectively and efficiently aligned to support the research excellence. Leadership and management of strategic change as part of the senior team is fundamental to this role. The Head of Operations reports to the Director. The core team of 15 people will report to the Head of Operations.
- Own the operational business plan, translating the strategy set by the Director and the Board into achievable deliverables and report on progress to the Director and the Board.
- Liaising with the Director to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals.
- Acting as a member of the senior leadership team, ensure that all core staff are managed effectively and have clear objectives and activities are prioritised effectively; mentor and motivate teams to achieve productivity and engagement.
- Working with the Finance Team to ensure that the multi-million £ budget is managed appropriately, regular monitoring and forecasting is carried out and financial risk is escalated to the Director.
- Support the Director in maintaining existing customer relationships with external partners and in creating new partners
Specific Person Requirements:
The Head of Operations needs to be analytical, able to translate the translate the big picture from the Director into an operational plan. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills are required. They need to bring focus to complex situations, comfortable with the finance and planning systems, and is able to handle conflict and change. They need to build and maintain the highest levels of trust and brings colleagues together around a common plan.
- Proven experience as Head of Operations or similar position
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Possesses the level of integrity expected of a senior manager
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, service delivery, HR etc.)
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. Oracle)
- Degree level qualification or equivalent is desirable
- Scientific understanding or a background in a scientific institution would be desirable but not essential
your application has been submitted