Trainee Material Technologist required, based in Greater Manchester, ideally with experience in the physical testing of polymer or rubber products
Title: Trainee Material Technologist
Location: Greater Manchester
Salary: £20,000 - £25,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
SRG are working with a highly successful manufacturer of rubberised materials used in a wide and diverse range of applications, who are also going through a period of significant growth in their business. They are now looking for a Trainee Technologist to join the Technical Team to assist with the physical testing of rubber/ polymer products. Given full and dedicated training, the successful individual will undertake routine physical testing to evaluate performance. This would be a fantastic opportunity for a recent graduate of Chemistry or Polymer Science to start their career in the chemical industry, with a view that the successful candidate will move into a Development Chemist role in the future.
Benefits: You will be joining a small Technical Team, working with a Development Technologist and QC Chemists. Full training provided, including a dedicated Polymer Technology training course. Excellent potential for growth and development with the team. 39 hours a week, 7:00am-3:00pm, Monday to Friday (some flexibility on start/finish times). 25 days holiday + 8 bank holidays, pension auto-enrolment and private healthcare.
- Undertaking physical testing of products to evaluate properties, e.g. viscosity, rheometry, hardness, tensile strength, compression, ageing and weathering
- Recording test results and generating technical reports on test outcomes
- Liaising regularly with customers regarding requirements, product queries/complaints and technical advice
- Potentially support in the development and modification of polymer/ rubber compounds and formulations to customer specifications
- Once fully trained, supporting the scale up of products from the lab to full scale production and troubleshooting issues as needed
- Assisting with laboratory housekeeping, COSHH, calibrations and records of lab work
- A-levels in Chemistry as a minimum
- Degree (BSc, MChem) in Chemistry or Polymer Science ideally
- Interest in or particular focus on Polymer Chemistry/Organic Chemistry modules
- Relevant industrial experience involving formulation or physical testing of polymer/ rubber products would be considered advantageous
- Strong communications skills, good work ethic and willingness to learn
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively, please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Chris on 0161 888 2517.
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
Keywords: chemistry, polymer science, materials science, graduate, degree, BSc, chemical, industrial, laboratory, chemist, development, formulation, R&D, rubber, polymer, elastomer, polymeric, elastomeric, compounding, thermoplastics, carbon black, rheology, viscosity, physical testing, product development, compounding, materials technologist
your application has been submitted