- Post-doctoral Scientist
- Contract: 3 years
- Salary: up to £37,000
- Location: Bracknell / Hybrid work
This organisation is a leading science-based agtech company; dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. The environmental safety of crop protection products is of critical importance. The Product Safety department is home to a varied group of experts and is a fast moving, innovative and highly interactive part of our business. We are seeking a candidate who can deliver fundamental and predictive insights into how the microbiome moderates the environmental behavior of our products, especially the degradation of crop protection compounds in the soil. To do this the successful candidate will perform experiments and analyze comprehensive datasets to uncover ecological linkages between microbiological and environmental variables. These studies will use soils from around the world and combine molecular methods for microbiome characterization, laboratory soil science, analytical chemistry, together with data analysis and modelling. This is an exciting role with the opportunity to work across disciplines from soil microbial ecology to fate and environmental science.
- You will design and conduct experiments investigating how the composition of the soil microbiome influences the behaviour of our products in the soil
- You will use multivariate models to link microbiome data to key environmental variables and fate properties such as the rates of degradation of our products
- You will work across the platform to develop an understanding of the composition of and diversity within the microbiome across our standard experimental soils
- You will play a key role developing our understanding of soil health in diverse agricultural contexts.
Knowledge and experience:
- PhD in a relevant area of science; biological/ecological/soil/environmental science, with experience in soil ecology or microbiology preferable
- Experience characterizing the soil microbiome using next generation sequencing technologies and the requisite laboratory skills such as DNA extractions and background knowledge e.g. primer selection
- Experience in the processing of microbiome data using appropriate software and techniques
- An understanding of the statistical methods available to explore soil microbiome data and experience using complex multivariate models to link the composition of the microbiome to environmental factors and chemical fate parameters
- Excellent attention to detail and rigorous approach to scientific methodologies and data analysis
- Can effectively collaborate with and develop others and work across technical and organizational boundaries internationally.
- Ability to work independently to high scientific standards
your application has been submitted