Hazardous Waste Site Chemist
£24,000 - £28,000 (Dependent on experience)
SRG are working with a leading waste management and recycling company who have a long and successful history of supporting the UK chemical industry. They are now looking for a Site Chemist to join the team, initially on a temporary basis, at their site in Merseyside with an immediate start. The role would involve inspecting and sampling incoming waste materials to categorise appropriately, testing in the lab as need. You will also ensure safe handling and make critical decisions on how waste is categorised and treated. This role would an excellent opportunity for a recent Chemistry graduate to gain some invaluable industrial experience or perhaps a Chemist with previous experience in a working laboratory or a hazardous waste environment.
Benefits: A great entry into the chemicals industry, with mentoring and training provided. 40 working hours per week, 24 days holiday + statutory bank holidays. Start times between 7am and 9am, finish times between 4pm and 6pm, changing on a rota. Good potential for contract to become permanent depending on performance.
- Receiving, hazardous waste onto site form industrial and commercial sites
- Storing, handling and processing waste materials in accordance with relevant permits and required procedures
- Ensuring paperwork for incoming waste is compliant and correctly completed
- Immediate testing of incoming waste to ensure conformity with paperwork using test strips
- Further laboratory testing as needed for further analysis using techniques including XRF, Karl Fischer, bomb colorimetry, and flash point testing
- Making up and testing solvent blends from waste material against specification
- Working alongside site operatives to ensure that waste is processed, stored and transferred in a safe, compliant and timely manner
- Assisting with the control of material flows through and ensuring container stocks are maintained to avoid delays and backlogs
- Bulking/re-packing of waste to achieve maximum profitability
- HNC in Chemistry as a minimum
- Analytical chemistry skills (e.g. XRF, Karl Fischer, colorimetry, and flash point) advantageous
- Must communicate effectively and confidently
- Time and people management skills
- Previous experience in similar industry e.g. waste management, would be advantageous but is not essential
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively, please email a copy of your CV to Raffaella.email@example.com For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Raffa on 0161 888 2517. If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies. If you know of someone else who may be interested in this role, please do pass on my details.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors. As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: Chemistry, hazardous waste, analytical testing, waste management, communication, time management, organised, HNC, HND, degree, chemical, transfer station, XRF, Karl Fischer
your application has been submitted