PhD Organic Chemist required, based in North Cheshire. PhD qualification in Chemistry essential, in addition to industrial or industry-partnered experience in design of organic synthetic routes and optimisation of new synthetic pathways.
Title: PhD Organic Chemist
Location: North Cheshire
Salary: £28,000 - £33,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
SRG is working with a successful company based in North Cheshire who conduct research into the production of fine chemicals and bespoke intermediates for downstream industries. Continuing their expansion, they are now looking for a PhD Organic Chemist to join the team in a senior position and provide expertise at the bench in synthetic route design, troubleshooting and process optimisation. It would be an excellent opportunity for an experienced Organic Synthetic Chemist with a proven technical background in developing synthetic pathways to reach novel and known compounds.
Benefits: Senior role in a fast-paced business, with customers based all over the world in various chemical and pharmaceutical sectors. Professional development available, in line with personal performance and company growth. 38.75 working hours/week - flexible start and finish times - Mon-Fri. Workplace pension, discretionary performance-related bonus, and 25 days holiday plus 8 statutory bank holidays. Overtime available at weekend at enhanced rate.
Role / Description
- Undertaking research to inform route development and explore potential new revenue streams
- Design & development of new synthetic routes (gram to kilo, single to multi-step) to produce custom molecules and compounds for customers
- Liaising directly with customers to respond to enquiries and advise on options/feasibility
- Scaling up synthesis from lab to pilot, and troubleshooting problems
- Using analysis including NMR, GC, HPLC, FTIR, MS, column chromatography, etc. to characterise intermediates and finished compounds
- Conducting process optimisation to improve yield, purity, energy input
- Supporting junior team members with workload and problem-solving
- Working to strict budgets and timeframes
- Keeping detailed records of work and communicating with production, key stakeholders and customers on progress updates.
- PhD qualification in Chemistry - with significant organic synthetic content
- Proven industrial or industry-partnered post-doctoral experience of designing and developing organic synthetic pathways for the production of compounds
- Particular experience in custom synthesis, fluorination chemistry or synthetic route screening considered advantageous
- Able to think laterally, use initiative and suggest solutions to complex route problems
- Commercial awareness of timelines, budget and customer interactions
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.co.uk to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: organic synthesis, organic chemistry, synthetic route, design, R&D, research & development, novel compounds, custom synthesis, catalogue synthesis, fine chemicals, fluorination, active compounds, chemist, research chemist, reaction, scale up, PhD, post-doc, med-chem, intermediates, drug development, CRO
your application has been submitted