Technical Manager Non Vesicular Reference Laboratories
Full Time, Perm Position
Competitive salary + excellent Benefits
Do you have a PhD in Bio-sciences and management experience?
Are you interested in viral disease outbreaks?
My client delivers world-leading research to understand, predict, detect and respond to viral disease outbreaks. They study viruses of livestock that are endemic and exotic to the UK, including zoonotic viruses, by using the most advanced tools and technologies to understand host-pathogen interactions in animals and arthropod vectors
Responsible for day to day organisation of the Non-vesicular reference laboratories (Bluetongue, African Horse sickness, Capripoxviruses, Morbilliviruses and African Swine Fever virus):Specific duties to include: The line management of technical staff, referral diagnosis; interpretation and reporting of results.Involvement in the scientific and knowledge community by attending internal and external seminars and presenting and discussing own work and research ideasRepresentation of NVRL interests at relevant working groups or committees.Contributing to the delivery of training on diagnostic techniques both within the UK and overseas.Preparedness for delivering a UK emergency response for diseases within the NVRL remit e.g Bluetongue, African Swine Fever.
Responsible for Development and Maintenance of ISO/IEC 17025 testing activities.
Specific duties to include:
- Training of staff in diagnostic procedures, promoting change, embedding a quality and health and safety conscious culture, monitoring staff competence, method performance through
- Internal QC, Proficiency Testing participation or External QA, uncertainty of measurement.
- Laboratory Information management system superuser
- Preparation of validation plans and validation reports (to include statistical analysis) to incorporate new test methods within a flexible/fixed scope.
- Recording and investigating non-conforming work: root cause analysis, corrective actions, effectiveness checks.
- Be the technical lead for internal and external audits, including overseeing the close out of findings.
- Attendance at quarterly Quality Management review meetings
- Drive aspects of good laboratory practice including bio-safety and health & safety processes.
Responsible for assisting the Head of the Non-Vesicular Reference Labs
Specific duties to include:
- The facilitation of scientific collaborations, international engagement, writing scientific publications, technical reports and other duties.
- Deputise in their absence at Institute, national or international fora.
- All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute's Quality Manager.
- Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
We are looking for someone who is highly motivated and enthusiastic, result orientated and has a vision to provide high quality, testing services to the veterinary profession. The successful applicant will have strong time management and problem-solving skills.
- A PhD or equivalent in a relevant branch of bio-sciences. An experienced scientist with equivalent practical expertise might be considered without a PhD.
- Significant experience of working to ISO/IEC17025 or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience of managing a team and supporting personal development.
- Demonstrated experience of technical management of diagnostic tests.
- Significant relevant laboratory experience in molecular virology. This includes technical competency in current molecular techniques.
- An ability to prioritise tasks effectively.
- Proven ability to think critically and problem-solve independently.
- Computer literate with a good knowledge of Excel and experience in data manipulation/presentation (Minitab, GraphPad).
- Proficient in other laboratory techniques relevant to viral diagnostics, for example: viral infection studies, virus purification, LAMP and other molecular tools.
- Experience of managing an ISO/IEC 17025 flexible scope.
- Experience of the development and validation of diagnostic tests.
- Auditing experience.Experience of using a Laboratory Management system (LIMS) to ensure trace-ability of results.
- Relevant publications in peer reviewed journals; demonstrated experience of preparing publications and supporting others in this process.
- Experience in biological containment practices and working under bio-secure conditions.
Key Words "Immunology, virology, zoology, diseases, pathogen interactions, livestock, manager, bio-sciences, diagnostics"
This is a really exciting experience to work in a unique field within a great company, please apply online or call Hollie Corley on 02030964710.
your application has been submitted