PhD Research Microbiologist required, based in Cheshire. Requiring a PhD in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or similar, with experience fermentation and microbial strain development.
Title: PhD Research Microbiologist
Salary: £30,000 - £40,000 per annum (depending on experience)
SRG is working with an innovative company who specialise in the creation of speciality chemicals for a range of markets. They are now opening a brand new division which will focus on the production of products via microbial fermentation and are looking for a PhD Research Microbiologist to lead this work. The role will involve screening and selection of potential bacterial candidates to undergo directed evolution and ultimately scaling up to large scale fermentation to produce strains at industrial scale. The role would suit a PhD-level Scientist, with a background in Microbiology, Biotechnology or Bioengineering and academic or industrial experience in fermentation, cell cultivation or similar.
Benefits: A leading role in a highly-respected, multi-national company, this will be based in a brand-new, purpose-built, state-of-the-art laboratory, reporting directly to CTO. 38 working hours/week, 8.50am and 4.50pm, Mon-Fri. Excellent company pension and bonus potential, private healthcare and 25 days holiday plus 8 statutory bank holidays.
Role / Description
- Establishing and running the new laboratory with minimal supervision
- Screening and selecting bacteria to cultivate certain strains through directed, non-mutagenic evolution using random mutagenesis protocols
- Advancing wild-type or novel isolates with the goal of increasing fermentation productivity and yield of desired metabolites
- Working with mini-fermenters to evaluate and screen microbial strains
- Optimising the fermentation process using Design of Experiment and Response Surface Methodology with shake-flask fermentations
- Validating strain performance and generating metabolite products for functional characteristic testing
- Preserving and cataloguing all strains used in the laboratory
- Conducting routine microbiological QC testing and basic chemical analysis of metabolite products made on-site
- PhD in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Microbial Genetics, Bioengineering or similar (MSc with significant industrial experience will be considered)
- Proven experience (academic, post-doc or industrial) of microbial fermentation, cultivation and/or forced evolution through random mutagenesis
- Strong practical skills in microbiology, culturing techniques and quantitative microbiological method
- Working knowledge of D.O.E. and associated statistical techniques
- Experience with bioinformatics software, e.g. BLAST, jPHYDIT, Phyloscan or MG-RAST advantageous but not essential
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218. If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors. As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: biotechnology, microbiology, microbiological, microbial, genetics, bioengineering, bioprocess, bioprocessing metabolite, fermentation, biofermentation, fermenter, bioreactor, bacteria, microbe, non-mutagenesis, non-mutagenic, wild-type, strain, PhD, , doctorate, post-doctorate, Ph.D, MPhil, MSc, Master, R&D, lab-scale, scale up
your application has been submitted