JOB TITLE: HCPC Biomedical Scientist (BMS) / Senior BMS / Lead BMS
DIVISION: COVID-19 Pandemic Laboratory
LOCATION: UK Wide
CONTRACT: Variety of Contracts (Typically 6 - 12 Months +)
CLIENT: SRG engaged with Multiple High-Level Clients seeking this candidate profile
SALARY: Competitive and Negotiable
SRG's COVID-19 Response Team is currently engaged with a number of high-profile clients looking for HCPC Biomedical Scientists at Junior, Senior, and Lead levels to assist in their COVID-19 laboratory testing projects. If you are looking for this type of role and you are available, we should have a role for you within close proximity to your preferred location. Please read below and if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then please apply today and the recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.
The COVID-19 pandemic presents the business community with several unique challenges. Recent evidence suggests that a majority of people infected with the disease could be asymptomatic carriers, meaning they can carry and transmit the disease, whilst not showing any symptoms. Traditional screening methods, such as checking temperature and oxygen levels are ineffective in detecting these asymptomatic carriers, who can be highly contagious. Development of a vaccine or herd immunity are not certainties and there are no guarantees either can be achieved in the short to medium term.
Because of these challenges, attention is starting to shift to how business can recommence operations in this new world. As businesses start to re-open it's vital that they protect workers and customer's safety. As we prepare for the winter months and with signs of a second wave coming into effect, the UK's testing capacity is needing to grow. SRG is currently working with multiple high profile organisations, where you will be required to put your previous experience to valuable use and support the COVID recovery efforts to help reopen society and the economy.
As a HCPC BMS, part of a team of bench scientists will be part of a team responsible for assessing the presence of SARS-COV-2 in human biological specimens. The team will work to prepare samples e.g. human nasopharyngeal swabs, extract RNA, and run qPCR with a validated COVID-19 method, with a BMS's specific responsibility for SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing processes up to and including PCR plate preparation.
- The individual will be principle technical & scientific expert to the project (dependent on level)
- Act as a designated individual in all aspects of data and quality assurance.
- Lead the departmental quality review meetings and propose and implement change as appropriate (dependent on level)
- Perform high level troubleshooting of methodology.
- Manage laboratory staff (dependent on level).
- Have oversight and responsibility for training, development and competencies for laboratory staff.
- Create and review technical documents and SOPs using the laboratory QMS.
- Assist laboratory management in ensuring compliance with organisational quality standards and H&S requirements are maintained.
- Interpret laboratory results and take appropriate action
- Working closely with the principal scientist and senior BMS staff, propose, oversee and develop the implementation and ongoing validation of techniques, equipment and working practices.
- Higher education degree recognised by the Institute for Biomedical Science (IBMS)
- HCPC registration.
- Previous experience as senior biomedical scientist in virology or microbiology laboratory.
- In depth knowledge of virology or microbiology.
- Extensive experience using RT-PCR methodology.
- Experience of authorising or validating RT-PCR results and methodology.
- Experience of working in a diagnostic or high throughput laboratory.
- Familiarity with laboratory accreditation requirements (ISO 15189).
- Experience of maintaining documents and procedures within laboratory accreditation specifications (including COSHH, SOPs and training /competency).
- Willingness to work flexible hours (across a 24/7 service).
- Experience of Viral RNA testing using real-time (RT) PCR methodology.
- Knowledge and experience of implementing new techniques into laboratory.
- Experience in using end-Point PCR methods.
- Experience with UKAS 15189 accreditation.
As mentioned above, if you meet the essential requirements and can demonstrate the skills required, then please apply today and the recruitment team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your application.
your application has been submitted