R&D Chemist required, based in Manchester. Requiring degree (BSc, MChem) in Chemistry with some industrial experience in organic synthesis
R&D Chemist required, based in Manchester. Requiring degree (BSc, MChem) in Chemistry with some experience in organic synthesis at lab and/or pilot scale. Graduates with a relevant year in industry will be considered.
Title: R&D Chemist - Organic Synthesis
Salary: £23,000 - £25,000 per annum + benefits
SRG is working with well-established chemical manufacturer who have been producing speciality chemical for the last 40 years, both under their own brand name and as a toll manufacturer. With their continued expansion, the Technical team is now looking for an R&D Chemist to join the lab in developing new products through a range of reaction chemistry and synthetic modification. It would be a brilliant opportunity for a Chemistry graduate with industrial experience of reaction chemistry, organic synthetic methods and processes - either after university or as part of a placement year.
Benefits: A well-established company with exciting plans to continue their dramatic growth over the next 5 years. Full training provided and continued development through courses and exposure to other business areas. 40 working hours/week, 8.am and 4.30pm, Mon-Fri - some flex on start/finish times. 25 days holiday + banks.
Role / Description
- Undertaking development work in the lab, involving reactions such as neutralisation, oxidation, sulphonation, esterification, phosphation, carboxylation, etc.
- Taking lab-based processes through scale up, investigating potential issues and troubleshooting problems at larger scale
- Generating plant manufacturing procedures for scaleable products and processes
- Conducting process optimisation of current processes to find ways of reducing cost and improving yield
- Validating new and alternative raw materials for use in reactions
- Characterising reaction intermediates and finished products using wet chemistry techniques, GC and HPLC.
- Minimum degree in Chemistry or similar
- Hands-on, industrial experience of organic synthesis, reaction chemistry or development chemistry at laboratory or pilot scale (scale up experience considered advantageous)
- Recent graduates with industrial experience encouraged to apply
- Practical experience with GC or HPLC beneficial but not essential
- Self-motivated, able to apply initiative and lateral thinking to problems
- Pragmatic and pro-active
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.co.uk to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: chemist, chemistry, organic, synthesis, synthetic, reaction, syntheses, laboratory, intermediate, intermediates, R&D, product development, process development, degree, BSc, MChem, placement year, year in industry, neutralisation, oxidation, sulphonation, sulphation, esterification, phosphation, GC, HPLC.