Senior Scientist - Fermentation
Title: Senior Scientist - Fermentation
Location: North East
Employment Type: Permanent
Salary: £35,000 - £48,000
We are looking for an experienced Fermentation Scientist to join a highly innovative organisation tasked with bringing the UK at the forefront of innovation across a wide range of scientific sectors including biotech, agri-tech, pharma and biopharma. Joining an expanding team, the main responsibility for the Senior Scientist will be to provide Fermentation leadership to ensure that
products from food and feed processes can be delivered safely and compliantly, acting as the
technical lead in the timely delivery and realisation of a variety of projects, (small and medium scale
projects, and projects of some complexity).
- Act as the primary technical contact and decision point within the pilot plant for the operations and fermentation.
- To support the development of scalable fermentation processes from shake flask to 10000 litre reactor scale. To work closely with commercial clients to de-risk the scale-up of fermentation-based
- To support the set-up, operate and monitor microbial fermentation processes under batch,fed-batch and continuous conditions following predefined protocols.
- To work in partnership with colleagues to modify or reconfigure bioreactor vessels and associated equipment to define the process parameters necessary to achieve optimal production conditions.
- To support the routine maintenance of fermenters, identifying and escalating issues which may impact their performance and availability.
The successful Senior Scientist must possess significant, technical expertise in fermentation and demonstrate compelling evidence of complex technical problem solving. They will need to hold exhibit professional mastery of principles and practices in fermentation gained through career to date in area of specialism. They should be able to actively demonstrate in-depth technical and theoretical knowledge of at least one area and be viewed as a specialist in this area by peers: (1) Fed-batch fermentation; (2) continuous fermentation; or (3) precision-fermentation.
Interested? Or know someone who will be?
SRG are the UK number 1 recruitment company specialising in the science, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, renewable, biotech, chemicals and medical devices sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
If you are interested in this role and require more information, please contact Shazad Arshid on 07721517483 or email
Carbon60, Lorien & SRG - The Impellam Group STEM Portfolio are acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.