Close date: 31st January 2022
Job Title: Junior Scientific Officer (Student Placement)
Position job holder reports to: Scientific Officer or Senior Scientific Officer
Position in Organisation: Please refer to the current version of the company organisation charts
Location: Unit 3, Enterprise 3930, Cambridge Research Park, Beach Drive, Waterbeach, Cambridge CB25 9PE.
- Support the development and testing of its novel autoinjector technology and testing of novel autoinjector technologies through laboratory-based work and general engineering support activities.
- Research into and early-stage development of parenteral drug formulations.
- Development and execution of test programmes, procedures and processes.
This is an exciting opportunity to take a ‘hands-on’ technical role in a friendly and fast-moving Cambridge-based start-up company and to contribute directly to the development of a leading-edge novel technology.
It is expected that students will take a full and active role in our project teams and will have the opportunity to make significant contributions to the development of our novel drug delivery technologies.
Overview of Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Testing materials, parts and drug formulations within Oval’s laboratory and workshop facilities.
- Work alongside an existing team of engineers and scientists to:
- Operate inspection equipment, mechanical rigs, manufacturing equipment.
- Operate analytical equipment including HPLC, UV/vis spectroscopy, rheometer.
- Identify and characterise anatomy and drug delivery sites with ultrasound or CT scans.
- Execute test programmes, follow and support the writing of test procedures and test reports.
- Contribute to brainstorms and team meetings.
- Source components, equipment, and consumables and work with external suppliers and subcontractors to ensure test work and laboratory work runs smoothly.
- Source appropriate reagents to produce development drug formulations to facilitate device development.
- Use and support company IT systems and equipment software.
- Work with and support quality and safe working practice procedures.
- Any other appropriate duties relevant to the success of the company.
- A desire to learn and a willingness to take on challenges
- Self-motivated, energetic, and positive nature
- Adaptable, resourceful, and creative
- Thrives in an open and less structured environment
- Open, honest, inclusive, personable
- A team player with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to travel when, and if, required
Experience/Skills needed to fulfil the role
- Completion of 2 years of a recognised degree course in a relevant subject such as;
- Chemical Engineering
- Biochemistry/Biomedical Science
- Materials Science
- Natural Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- As per entry requirements for relevant degree courses.
Interface with other departments/communication internal & external
- Liaise with all internal functions and personnel.
- Present to appropriate business and technical audiences as necessary.
- Some travel may be necessary as appropriate to project requirements.